155 Years of Delivering Excellence | Meet the TJL Team
As part of our 155th Anniversary celebrations, we are shining the spotlight on the people who help make us who we are. Our People are our first Core Value and we are lucky to have a fantastic team working throughout each of our 7 divisions.
A fairly recent addition to the team (over 45% of our employees have worked at TJL for 10+ years!), Fiona is a key member of our Estimating Department. We asked her to tell us a bit more about herself.
You at Work:
- Job Title: Estimator
- How long have you worked at TJL? Nearly 2 years
- What was your first job?An office Junior for one of our competitors
- How did you get started in the industry?
I left school at the age of 16, joined a construction company and it developed from there
- What are you most proud of in your career?
All of it….as it wasn’t a career choice and more right place, right time I would have to say achieving my honours degree, sticking with it and progressing into a role I enjoy (most of the time!)
- Why do you like working at Thomas Johnstone?
TJL are such a great team to be part of and the support and encouragement is second to none
- Tell us about your favourite project to date.
The Clydeside Distillery in the heart of Glasgow. It was a good mix of old and new forms of construction.
- What is the best piece of professional advice you’ve ever received?
Never change as a person no matter what you achieve, unless it’s for the better
- How do you describe what you do for a living to family and friends?
I calculate how much a proposed project will cost based on today’s market prices by evaluating the Clients requirements.
- What is one thing you wish people knew about your job?
How frustrating it can be but rewarding at the same time
You Outside of Work:
- Tea or Coffee?
If I had to choose it would be a nice cup of tea (not forgetting the chocolate biscuit!)
- What’s your favourite thing to do when you’re not working?
Spending quality time doing activities with my two boys, Lewis & Reece
- Who would you like to swap places with for a day?
My 4 year old son – everything is so amazing at that age
- What song do you have on repeat right now?
Adele – I drink wine (is it any wonder?!)
- Tell us something else we don’t know about you.
I’m not a natural blonde!