As part of our 155th Anniversary celebrations, we are shining the spotlight on the people who help make us who we are. At TJL, People are our first Core Value and we are lucky to have a fantastic team working throughout each of our 7 divisions.
This month, we’re speaking to Craig, one of our Quantity Surveyors. Outside of his day job, Craig is quite the sportsman: whether it’s the Business 5s or TJL’s Annual Golf Day, we can count on Craig to be part of Team TJL!
Name: Craig Pirie
Job Title: Quantity Surveyor
How long have you worked at TJL? 4 years and 4 months
You at Work:
- What was your first job?
As a teenager, I worked in the cycle hire shop in Millport during the summers.
- How did you get started in the industry?
I started the Quantity Surveying course at University on advice from a family friend and, halfway through, secured an apprenticeship with a roofing and roughcasting contractor.
- What are you most proud of in your career?
Using any of the testing and stressful times I have experienced thus far as opportunities to learn and further my abilities.
- Why do you like working at Thomas Johnstone?
I have all the help I could ask for if needed but also have been given breathing space at the right times. I feel like this balance has given me the assurance to step out of my comfort zone and helped me gain confidence and progress to a new chapter in my career.
- Tell us about your favourite project to date.
St Leonards School: Priorsgate –Although it had its struggles at times, the finished product looked amazing considering the condition of the building at the outset. I feel like the site team got on well and gelled together, and I learned a great deal during this project.
- What is the best piece of professional advice you’ve ever received?
Don’t be a busy fool, and don’t sweat the small stuff.
- How do you describe what you do to family and friends for a living?
A sort of mixture of accountancy and project management.
- What is one thing you wish people knew about your job?
It’s not just counting bricks!
You Outside of Work:
- Tea or Coffee? Coffee
- What’s your favourite thing to do when you’re not working? I play a lot of golf and do a lot of running
- What song do you have on repeat right now? Cubicolor – Got This Feeling
- Tell us something else we don’t know about you. I can hold a tune on the karaoke if required.